Monday, August 22, 2011

Design Star Update

Cactus


Happy Monday people! Well, it has been one crazy week. I worked on a few projects this week, had some new job offers, went for the Design Star open call on Saturday and got my little ones ready for their first day of preschool and kindergarten (this morning!) Nothing like going to bed at midnight to make sure everyone has their uniforms cleaned and pressed. You mama's know what I'm talking about! Anyhow, I promised a full report about the Design Star audition so here it is. After filling out a 17 page application, submitting my portfolio, a resume and two pictures of myself, I waited in a conference room with maybe 40-50 people at the Westin. I waited for a little over an hour before meeting with the casting lady, director, coordinator (not sure of the lingo). I made some new friends and, as always, in uncomfortable situations everyone seemed to find some connection with the person sitting next to them. In my case, a guy from Wynn Design and Development who worked with two old friends and an old boss, an old acquaintance from high school and an old friend of my mother-in-law. By the end of our stay we were laughing and forming what could be a "Vegas alliance" not to be messed with. After a very brief, one-on-one interview I left with what was a positive experience. 4 hours later and I got a call back for tomorrow morning. I have never been on camera, save one terrible experience in NYC trying to describe a play I had not seen (long story). As luck would have it, I met Olivia Fierro of the Channel 5 news at my hair dressers last night and she was gracious and generous with her advice. I mean seriously, how lucky was that?! By the way, she is nicer than she needs to be and even prettier in person. Tomorrow morning I have to have a 5 minute prepared demonstration of some kind of design tip. I think I'm going to show them how to make oil cloth, with the help of my sister-in-law. We'll see how that develops over the course of the day! Anyhow, of course I will let you know how it all shakes out. Thanks for taking the ride with me!


Cactus
Photography by Elly Yap

4 comments:

  1. Eeeek! I am so excited for you! Good luck a hundred times over. Relax and enjoy yourself and all your great qualities will shine through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be totally deer in the headlights. So proud of you for pursuing your goals. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck - hope you knock their socks off!

    ReplyDelete

The Mike is Yours! (be gentle)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...