Friday, May 15, 2009

Window Coverings for Emily




My friends Emily & Nate just got the keys to their very first home and now they have the very daunting task of filling it with things they love, things that they can afford and things that will last until they pay off those nasty student loans!  Emily asked me what I would suggest for covering their sliding glass doors that look into a backyard currently filled with dirt.  I decided to give her my pick for drapery and also include some of my favorite resources for window coverings.  I think the right window dressing will make magic happen.  I think they make a home look pulled together like nothing else can.  People often only go as far as blinds or shutters but a beautiful window dressing is eternally classic and chic.  Here are some of my favorite resources and a few inspiring photos. Enjoy!


This is my choice for Emily & Nate's sliding glass doors.  It is the Linen Thread Stripe Panel from West Elm.  It will provide some coverage, keeping the focus off an unfinished backyard but still allow sunlight to flood the space.  They are pretty, durable and best of all affordable.


This is another good choice for my friends.  A nice sheer like this will do the trick for them and it is from Smith and Noble, which is a great resource for easy, custom drapery.
 

This pretty opaque sheer from Restoration Hardware will give a soft glow and medium privacy.  


Lastly for my friends a one-way draw, traverse stack drapery could be the trick for their sliding glass doors.  They are ceiling mounted and are either motorized or have a pull rod.  Think that hotel room in Vegas.


Photo from HGTV.com's Top Ten Window Coverings



I love these pretty, floral roman shades also featured on HGTV.com.  They are vibrant and fun without being fussy.

Another roman shade that is more masculine and modern.  Drapery isn't always girlie!


How yummy are these dramatic red silk drapes from The Silk Trading Company?!  I love this company because they have such lovely fabrics ( I worked for their local rep. in L.A. in college).  Please check the website out for custom drapery, bedding and pillows as well as, their "Drapery in a Box" program which is all about faking a truly custom-looking window dressing.  silktrading.com


The perfect answer to windows over your bathtub.  Fabric or natural woven roman shades.


Okay, kids.  This is for the major leaugers out there.  THE place to get your natural woven shades and drapery is Conrad Shades.  The quality and beauty of their products cannot be overstated.  They are spendy but you will not regret this purchase if you spring for it.  See the detail below.  conradshades.com



A classic Conrad Shade.



An example of drapery by Conrad Shades.  Creamy and delicious, yes?



I'm not one for super sweet decor but this was too cute to pass on.  The color and pattern are refreshing and the scalloped cornice has a nice architectural feel.  The designer is Laura McNeill and the photo is featured on pointclickhome.com


I love this white, triple pinch pleat drape layered over a mauve sheer.  It makes me want to sit down and have a cup of tea (and I don't even drink tea).  The designer is Evelyn Chin of EC Designs and is featured on pointclickhome.com








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mike is Yours! (be gentle)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...